Niantic announced the second edition of Community Day Classic, which will take place on April 10, 2022: This time it’s Mudkip.
Date: April 10, 2022
Time: 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm local time
Special Move: Evolve to a Swampert and get Hydro Cannon
- 3x catch XP
- 3-hour lures
- 3-hour incense
- Mudkip photobombs
Let’s look at the factors that you should consider to determine how much time to play:
1. Is the exclusive move meta-relevant in any Go Battle leagues?
2. Is there a bonus worth chasing?
3. Is there a specific goal that I am trying to hit where the abundance of a single Pokemon species can help?
For Mudkip Community Day, below are my thoughts:
1. Hydro Cannon Swampert is a stable of Ultra League and Great League, either in regular form or in shadow form. So the answer is clearly yes. If I do nothing else, I will at least evolve two low-CP shadow Mudkips into Swampert, one for Great League and the other for Ultra League. Fortunately I have already TM’d away Frustration on a few shadow Mudkips.
2. 3x XP is definitely worth chasing. With a Lucky Egg activated, an excellent throw is worth 6000 XP. In my experience, Mudkip isn’t necessarily the easiest pokemon to land an excellent throw, but it’s not as hard as, say, Exeggcute. So the answer here is also yes.
3. The answer here is yes. Ideally I’d love to get to 296 Mudkip Candy XL so I can evolve a Level 50 Swampert. I currently have 50 Candy XL, so that means 246 more to go. Is it possible to achieve during Community Day? Most likely not, as Community Day Classic (well, actually Community Day as well, but that’s another topic) is only 3 hours, which means I am probably looking at around 200 Mudkips. Given that not all Mudkip catches will yield a Candy XL, I know targeting to get 246 Mudkip Candy XL is not realistic. However, with the possibility of receiving a Candy XL for a trade and against for a transfer, there is a chance that you may catch enough Mudkips to you eventually can get to 296 Candy XL, especially if Niantic throws a bonus like guaranteed Candy XL for a trade or guaranteed Candy XL for a transfer. And yes, I do plan to hold on the Mudkips I catch until such event(s) happen.
Mudkip Community Day Classic will be a popular event, and one you should definitely spend time on, especially if incense stationary spawn rate is increased. But even if not, it is a great opportunity to obtain at least two PvP-worthy Swamperts due to the exclusive move.